Knock, Knock!

Like any human, I fall off track sometimes when life becomes overwhelming and complicated; forgetting to seek Him and His amazing guidance only to grovel for His forgiveness in being absent to His presence. I am greatly rewarded by blessings of many different kind.

God does not forget me, or you, no matter what goes on or has happened in your life or the world. I hope these daily devotions can help others as much as they have helped me.

For anyone who may be reading this, please do not post comments (or try to) bashing myself or my religious beliefs. I am not out there seeking you out for your differences to try and debate them. I respect that everyone is different, everyone has different religions and beliefs and I completely respect them for that as they have that right. I have been down many different roads in my young life, and this is what I have chosen because I feel it with every beat of my heart. I just ask that it be respected.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

3 August

3 August

"WATCH YOUR WORDS DILIGENTLY. Words have such a great power to bless or to wound. When you speak carelessly or negatively, you damage others as well as yourself. This ability to verbalize is an awesome privilege, granted only to those I created in My image. you need help in wielding this might power responsibly.

Though the world applauds quick-witted retorts, My instructions about communication are quite different: Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. Ask My Spirit to help you whenever you speak, I have trained you to pray--"Help me, Holy Spirit"--before answering the phone, and you have seen the benefits of this discipline. Simply apply the same discipline to communicating with people around you. If they are silent, pray before speaking to them. If they are talking, pray before responding. These are split-second prayers, but they put you in touch with My Presence. In this way, your speaking comes under the control of My Spirit. As positive speech patterns replace your negative ones, the increase in your Joy will amaze you.

Proverbs 12:18; James 1:19; Ephesians 4:29

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is one of the biggest things people struggle with, besides putting all of their trust into Jesus's capable hands.

I remember my mom talking to me about this before. She would tell me to pray before I spoke, no matter what. I always kept it in the back of my mind, but was not something I would always do or apply to most conversations or instances of communication.

It's hard. Especially if it's an argument of some sort and you're in the heat of the moment.

Recently, I have been tested on more than one occasion of this exact thing.

A very good friend disagreed with me on something and used some harsh, unnecessary words towards me. Before actually reading the offending sentence (as it happened online), I was praying and asking for help for the right words to say to her, in hopes she would understand. We didn't talk for a day or so, and it really weighed heavy on my heart. I prayed about it a lot, I asked Him for the right words to say to her and the whole morning (once I got up, on the way to the barn, while I was riding, after riding, on my way home), I kept running through the best way to word my feelings in the best way. I started sending her a message when she popped up online and apologized. I knew (and had known) it was heavy on her heart too. And the words just flowed. Once I was able to get out that it was xyz that hurt/upset/angered me, I was done with it forgiving and just wanted to shower her with my love for her cause she is one of my closest and best friends. I am grateful I have a friend that can be open and honest with me about how she feels, that we can have a tift, and talk it out without causing dramatic fights.

Then came test number 2 when a small handful (of maybe 3) of people tried telling me my horse was lame--based off of a few video clips (that were not in order, mind you) of one not-so-great schooling session. The video lasted maybe 5 minutes and the actual schooling session was longer than that; about 30-40 minutes of actual riding time. While I graciously took the comments with a grain of salt, I was praying for guidance in my responses. Boy did it help. It helped to keep me calm and collected, but even after a while of repeating myself, I felt my patience start to crack and I became more firm in my responses. Not in a mean or negative way, but more fed up and frustrated that those select few didn't seem to think I knew what I was talking about. For once, I was actually slow to anger. I'm not normally like that; praying has helped me keep my cool and from flying off the handle, from saying/typing things that I may later have to swallow. It's hard, especially when it's slightly personal, but I had to remind myself; one video of a few clips of one off day for both my horse and myself. At least I showed we are not perfect, we don't always look great; that we have a lot to work on too.

Work takes time and having His guidance will get us the best quality in our work if we truly ask for it and take the time to ask Him for it.

Reading today's devotional sent my past few days flooding back to me and those experiences were meant to be learned from. I have too and continue to try to be as open as I can to everything. It's hard sometimes, but lately praying for His help before replying, speaking has helped me tremendously. I thank Him. Thank you, Jesus, for helping me when I have taken a hold of your hand and layed my thoughts, concerns, worries, and anxiety into your hands. Thank you for taking care of those for me and showing me that by asking for your guidance, that I will get it and I will learn new things in the experience. I love you, Lord, and I thank you for always taking care of me. Amen.

Bringing Him into everything we do in our daily lives can only bring positive good. It may not be right away, but it's there if you seek Him hard enough.

2 comments:

  1. This one really speaks to me too. I do try hard to pray and think before I speak, but sometimes it is hard! I was a bit harsh on Brad last night, just impulsive harsh words over something dumb and I feel horrible. I need to think this one over!

    Also, you handled both instances there beautifully *hugs* I am happy to have 2 such great friends who don't do drama and have such good hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently discovered this blog when I misplaced my Jesus Calling book about 2 weeks ago (still hasn't turned up either :( ) and have been using it in place of the book each morning. This entry really speaks to me too, and wile I have prayed like this at times I want to implement it in my daily life. More regularly. Your stories help encourage me to do that. Thank you, and Thanks to God for using you in this way.

    Also thank you for going to the trouble to type in so many entries. I wonder where I can start looking in late October if the book STILL hasn't turned up. God will provide, I am sure...

    :)

    ReplyDelete